With 1 more month until Christmas the LITTLE CHEF'S will be baking some christmas goodies to get us in the mood. Starting with the classic Mince pies… but for those who aren't a fan of the mince, we have also done yummy jam ones too!
This is such a simple recipe to make with your little one's! They can enjoy mixing, getting messy hands, rolling the dough AND cutting out the shapes!
(This recipe will make 12 pies)
YOU WILL NEED:
175g plain flour
75g cold butter
25g icing sugar
1 medium egg
Mince meat (we used waitrose ready made)
Jams of your choice (We used strawberry & apricot)
Milk or egg for glazing
Icing sugar for dustings
** Muffin tin with 12 holes, A 3inch circular cutter & a small start cutter**
1) Preheat the oven to 180C and lightly grease a muffin tin with 12 holes
2) Put the flour, icing sugar and butter into a bowl and rub together to form breadcrumbs
3) Add egg and mix together, using hands to then form a ball of dough
(It really couldn't be simpler to make this yummy pastry!)
4) Put the dough in the fridge for 10 minutes to firm up
5) Roll the firm pastry out until thin
5) Cut out 12 circles (your cutter should be slightly larger than the hole in your muffin tin).
6) Cut out 12 Star shapes
6) Push them into the muffin tins
7) Fill with a small teaspoon of jam or mince meat
8) Put your star on top of your pie and glaze with either milk or a beaten egg
9) Cook for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden
10) Allow to cool and sprinkle icing sugar on top
There you have it.. your yummy pies to get you into the Christmas spirit!
Each week on the run up to Christmas there will be a new christmas recipe so keep your eyes pealed!