Chocolate AND orange mixed cookies? It would be rude not to try!
This recipe is slightly more challenging for your child and will need some extra adult help.. but do not shy away from it, because it is well worth it!
You can make these cookies into any shapes you want.. on my trial run we made a batch of love hearts, stars and flowers.. but for my classes we made animal cookies to keep with our animal theme.
WHAT YOU NEED:
250g Unsalted butter
140g Caster sugar
2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
1 Egg yolk
300g Plain flour
2 tablespoons Coco powder
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
1 teaspoon of Orange essence (optional)
WHAT TO DO:
1) Preheat the oven to 180C
2) Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl. Add the egg yolk and mix.
3) Add the flour and combine until you have a dough
4) Divide the dough in half. Add the coco to one half.. orange rind & essence to the other half.. knead it until it has combined
5) Roll the chocolate dough into a long sausage shape, around 30cm long.
6) Do the same with the orange dough and lay each 'sausage' next to each other
7) Beginning at one end turn the 'sausages' into a spiral. Repeat for the remaining dough.
8) Place your spirals onto a baking sheet and freeze for 10 minutes to firm up.
9) When chilled flatten each wheel with a rolling pin then use your cutters to create different shaped cookies.
10) Cook for 10 minutes & Cool
*** The cookie will still be soft when it comes out of the oven but go with it… I've learnt this the hard way and ended up with a lot of rock hard cookies. If they are still soft when they come out of the oven, when cooled they harden slightly and are delicious ***