I can honestly say that savoury muffins were definitely never part of my life; I saw no point to them.. a muffin without chocolate.. no thanks!
I was looking at savoury recipes to do with my cooking class and stumbled across these; Butternut squash, spinach and feta muffins; I wasn't quite sure that children would go for it because of the vegetables but they were a great success!
These aren't just for the children to enjoy too.. these recipe make 12 large muffins; they can be stored and used for sandwiches, to dip in soup or just as a yummy snack!
YOU WILL NEED:
Hand full of spinach sliced thinly
A small butternut squash, cut into 1cm cubes
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
280g Self raising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt & pepper
WHAT TO DO:
1) To prepare the butternut squash cut into 1cm cubes, put oil & seasoning on and bake in the oven until soft (roughly 20minutes) but not burnt, and let cool.
2) Add most of the butternut squash and feta (Leaving some left over to sprinkle on the top), spinach & parmesan into a bowl
3) In a separate bowl add the eggs, milk & mustard and mix.. once mixed add into the other bowl with the rest of the ingredients
4) Add flour, baking powder & season & mix until all the ingredients have combined
5) Spoon into muffin cases, sprinkling some left over squash & feta on the top
6) Bake for 20 minutes, until golden.